Sunday, May 17, 2009

Vacation = fat

I'm not just eating 3 meals a day, I'm snacking in between meals too, and they're not healthy snacks. Dammit. It happens every time I visit family and I usually just blow it off, rationalize that I'll deal with the results when I get home and back into my routine. I'm not happy though because I know how much work it will take to get back to ground zero. Today after church we went to a breakfast with a womens' group my aunt belongs to, and they had really good, Southern buttermilk biscuits. We ate so much you wouldn't think we'd snack while playing dominoes, but of course we did. I'm not even hungry for dinner. I've recaught my cold of a few weeks ago, too, which sucks.

So, for motivation to get up early and run, I cruised around on the CrossFit website and liked this:

"CrossFit is in large part derived from several simple observations garnered through hanging out with athletes for thirty years and willingness, if not eagerness, to experiment coupled with a total disregard for conventional wisdom. Let me share some of the more formative of these observations:
1. Gymnasts learn new sports faster than other athletes.
2. Olympic lifters can apply more useful power to more activities than other athletes.
3. Powerlifters are stronger than other athletes.
4. Sprinters can match the cardiovascular performance of endurance athletes even at extended efforts.
5. Endurance athletes are woefully lacking in total physical capacity.
6. With high carb diets you either get fat or weak.
7. Bodybuilders can't punch, jump, run, or throw like athletes can.
8. Segmenting training efforts delivers a segmented capacity.
9. Optimizing physical capacity requires training at unsustainable intensities.
10. The world's most successful athletes and coaches rely on exercise science the way deer hunters rely on the accordion."

So for the rest of my stay here, I'll be following the WOD (Workout of the Day) where possible, and no more snacks!

And thought for the day, pinched from Triangulo Pesadelo's blog, found here:

Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain.

No comments: