Thursday, January 07, 2010

Because I can't stand watching the Rose Bowl...

I'm actually blogging while my Longhorns play in the national championship. Don't get me wrong, I'm a football fan like I'm a Catholic: Easter and Christmas, culturally, as a social thing more than a true-believer thing. But it seems like I should be more distracted by our current predicament (24-6 Alabama with 12 left in the 3rd) given the importance of the game, which is kind of like Easter and Christmas rolled into one.

Anyway.

Dammit. Nothing more to blog about. At least we're 13-24 now with 14 min left in the 4th.

5 comments:

Georgette said...

Ahem.... some excellent chitchat about halfguard...

http://clearbelt.blogspot.com/2010/01/fabio-is-bestest.html

http://collarchoke.blogspot.com/2009/12/monday-december-21-60-minutes.html

http://devbjj.blogspot.com/2009/06/butterfly-hooks-and-trying-new-stuff.html

And a bit on the 93 guard (Dan Dau's guard from the other day..)
http://devbjj.blogspot.com/2009/06/alls-fair-in-love-and-nut-shots.html

Thanks Allie and Dev and Ben!

A.D. McClish said...

Hey, do you guys do take downs every time you grapple? We rarely do take downs beyond drilling. Every now and then, we'll do a sparring session where two students go at a time and have one minute to catch a take-down on their opponent. But that's about it. Just wondering how other schools do things.

Georgette said...

I'd say about half and half-- when I'm sparring noobs I definitely start from knees, but against better people, I try to be brave and go from the feet. We have lots of classes either focused on takedowns or at least containing a segment on takedowns, too. How long are ya'lls classes? Ours are 3 hours long, except the weekday lunch classes which are only 2.

A.D. McClish said...

Our classes are usually 2-2 and a half hours long. We do have classes that focus on take downs, but they're not all that common. One of my instructor told us it's because people get injured more often during take downs than anything else. Steph and I are preparing for the next NAGA so we're going to start getting to class 1/2 hour early to practice them. What's your favorite take down?

Georgette said...

Lord, whatever works :) I've been focusing on my gripfighting lately, and depending on what my opponent gives me, I'll go for single legs, dropdown armbars, monkey flips, guillotines... how about you?