Monday, March 22, 2010

Mount. INSIST on mount.


Repost from Cane's blog, The Gentle Art-- most of you already know I have a big old jits-crush on Cane's approach (and SBGi's approach) in general. No exception today, folks.

His introduction pretty much mirrors my thoughts on this subject.. really timely for those of us prepping for the Pan.

"This week was mount week in BJJ. I taught top position on Monday and escape and survival on Tuesday. I looked around the net to see if I could find some good information on holding mount top. I wanted some structural stuff about how to build the posture from top position. I didn’t really find anything. Not that there isn’t anything out there. Just that I didn’t find it. Most of what I found was the typical submissions and cool moves from top. Those are important for sure. What I find though is that most people have a really hard time holding mount. Myself included. As a top position it’s very hard to hold. Probably the most difficult of all the top positions. If you can’t hold it well then knowing all the submissions in the world isn’t going to do you much good."

Enjoy the rest of the post right here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a helluva time holding mount. I don't know what my problem is, as I try to implement everything I'm taught. I just end up going back to my bread and butter, cross body. Bad habit.

By the way, I'll stop by more often. Your blog is right up may alley. Jiu jitsu and politics, nice!