Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Think outside the box.

This morning I rolled nogi with two purple belts who are very patient with my attempts.

I think it's funny that I'm often told I am technical, because really, if I had strength, I'd be using it! In the absence of comparable strength, we (girls, smaller/weaker people) experience true Darwinism of technique-- the only things that ever work are technical things. I always *feel* like I'm hauling on stuff, pushing, pulling, heaving, working, so it doesn't always seem technical per se, but I guess my feeble strivings come across that way by comparison. Whatever, I don't care, I just like to have fun.

And I did. I lay beneath Bentley in a semi-half guard, semi-had-his-back kind of thing, with my arms pretzeled around his and his shoulderblade in some couldn't-recreate-it-for-love-or-money kind of way, and he laughed that I always do these unorthodox things he doesn't expect that impede his progress in a move. I replied it's solely due to me not having a clue... I don't even know what the box is much less have it, so I can't think in or out of it. I just play.

2 comments:

Deborah Clem said...

Ah! Grasshopper! There is no box! Only space! The box is only in your mind young grasshopper...

-Courtesy of Dagney's Ever So High Wisdom

Liam H Wandi said...

Haha dagney was too quick for me!

Darwinism of technique indeed!