Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Swinging dead gerbils....

I think I need a jiu jitsu field trip.  Maybe a month in Brazil (dream on!) or a month in Southern California.  I know I can't make it happen till after Mundials (or maybe even Masters/Seniors Worlds in Rio in July?)

But reading Jake's awesome Pro Trials review on his blog made me feel antsy for a field trip.  To be somewhere where, as he puts it, you can't swing a dead gerbil without hitting good BJJ... *sigh*

Maybe I just need to stay here, but take a month off work, and be SOLELY and strictly dedicated to BJJ.  Like I would be in a different place.  Like Brazil.  I wouldn't do anything extracurricular, eat badly, drink, etc.  I'd just be a pure devotee worshipping at the altar of jiujitsuness. 


Riiiiiiiight. Maybe I just stay here :)

Some treats for your eyes... ADCC Pro Trials, March 6, 2011 (San Diego).

Blue belts for once!! Maybe the guy Jake liked?  Michael Liera, from JJU...



Or check this guy: Angelo Barden, also JJU, also blue belt...



And if you want the blackbelts...

Clark Gracie v. Andre Galvao, semis...



Antonio Braga Neto v Joao Assis



Claudio Calasans v Lucas Leite



Masters finals:  Enrique Ochoa v. Tony Pacenski (whose Sao Paulo Approach to Passing Guard I need to finish reviewing..)



Andre Galvao v. Claudio Calasans, middleweight finals



Eduardo de Silva v. Gui Mendes, finals

5 comments:

JCC-CSV said...

mushrooms+5 Hour Energy=Jitscation.

Aparna said...

Just my opinion, but I think if you're going to take time off of work, you might as well go somewhere. There's just something about going to a different place to experience something that makes the experience more intense--maybe because you feel more dedicated to it, or because the only familiar thing is jiu jitsu. Plus, you don't have the distractions of "real life" at home.

Good luck at Pans...and I hope your jiu jitsu pilgrimage happens!

Megan said...

Funny...I was just contemplating a jiu jitsu field trip to Japan to either train BJJ or some judo...or both!

Roll! I'm always for jumping on a plane with passport.

SavageKitsune said...

You should do a BJJ tour like Julia. Hit up a whole bunch of your blogosphere pals, take a road trip, and visit their schools.

Dev said...

Definitely go somewhere. Anywhere. Even if it's a couple miles away, to a different school. If you're going to dedicate a month to jits, then do it and visit a couple different places. And if you find The One, then change your plans. Flow with the go, as you may have heard before.