Friday, November 04, 2011

Cookies.

This recipe makes awesomely soft, fluffy, cake-like cookies that are perfect for the fall season. When you rotate the baking sheet halfway through the bake time, gently press down the top of each cookie with your spatula to help flatten them out.



1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 cup solid pack pumpkin puree or cooked, mashed sweet potato
2 1/4 cups all-purpose or whole wheat flour (you won't taste the difference)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-2 cups fresh cranberries
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon orange zest (or 1 Tbsp. orange juice concentrate if you're lazy)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla, egg and pumpkin. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices; stir into mixture until blended. Cut the cranberries in half and stir into mixture along with the orange zest and walnuts. Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheets.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, rotating cookie sheets from top to bottom and front to back halfway through. When cool, dip the top of each cookie into a powdered sugar-milk glaze and let dry before eating.

2 comments:

Reese said...

Oh stop...I'm on a health food diet and seeing these food posts is killing me. Those cookies look amazing!

Jiujitsunista said...

These look delicious! I'll have to give them a try... and I always bake with whole wheat flour... I feel slightly better about all the baked goods I give my kids..and eat myself... when I use it. hehe